This Saturday, October 5 is George Eastman House’s 3rd annual Photo Finish 5K. As a runner and Eastman House’s newest employee, I couldn’t be more thrilled to be a part of this race because the event is far from your typical 5K. If you haven’t registered yet, here are five reasons why you should consider joining us at the starting line Saturday morning:
1. 65+ Charities Represented
This race is about Mr. Eastman’s wish to make Rochester the healthiest and best place in the world to live and work. In just two years this event has raised over half a million dollars for more than 60 area non-profits. This year, more than 80 teams have registered and raised $140K+ for more than 65 organizations and they are still going strong. You can still join one of the existing teams, or start your own!
2. 3.1 Miles of Beautiful Scenery
Whether you are a walker, runner, or supporter, this course through the Neighborhood of the Arts never disappoints. Starting and ending at Eastman House, the course is designed to bring you by many other great Rochester organizations including the Memorial Art Gallery, Red Cross, School of the Arts, Visual Studies Workshop, Boy Scouts of America, and the Rochester Museum and Science Center.
3. Prizes For Speed AND Philanthropy
There really is something for everyone when participating in the Photo Finish 5K.
- If speed is your thing, first, second, and third place male and female prizes will be given in 8 age categories. In addition, top male and female finishers receive $100 to go to his/her favorite charity.
- If fundraising is more your strength, teams that raise the most money for their chosen non-profit will win EXTRA prize money based on five different categories.
- And if you show up on race day with the most spirit, there is a very special prize for that, too, called the Crosby Spirit Prize.
4. Post-Race Activities
Crossing the finish line is just the beginning of the fun. Your race registration gives you access to FREE post-race activities at Eastman House including admission to the Museum, food and drinks, massages from Onondaga School of Therapeutic Massage, and a photo booth to capture shots of you and your friends.
5. 5K Cultural Pass
Your Photo Finish 5K entry also includes something that no other race has, a Cultural Pass for one free admission to some of Rochester’s cultural gems, including the Dryden Theatre at George Eastman House, the Memorial Art Gallery, the Rochester Museum and Science Center, the Strasenburg Planetarium, and the Rochester Philharminic Orchestra. What a better way to celebrate your support for the Rochester community!
Ways to get involved…
Register to walk/run here: http://photofinish5k.eastmanhouse.org/
And if you are looking for ways to support Eastman House, please check out the following teams raising money for various projects around the Museum:
- Department of Photographs & Conservation Department: http://www.crowdrise.com/DOPGEH2013
- Motion Picture Department Poster Restoration Project: http://www.crowdrise.com/2012waydowneastposte1
- Eastman House Council: http://www.crowdrise.com/EHC2013
- Team George Eastman House (general operating budget): http://www.crowdrise.com/TeamGEH13
Rachel Pikus is the Manager of Online Engagement at George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film.